16 August 2007

Traffic Jam

Sitting in one of the worst ever traffic jams in recent years my mind ravelled across many things at the same time. Miles of cars were ahead of me and the bridge that would take me across could be seen far ahead. In times like this I truly wish for a boat to sail across. After all I am surrounded by water on all sides and If I have to get across anywhere I have to take a bridge or go under the water through the tunnel.{ It is said that there are more than 1000 bridges in New York and New Jersey combined}.

In the ancient of days when the wheel was not yet invented we had water ways. Not the high end canoe or the kayak that we see these days but one made of barks- bended and twisted, of weeds , sticks, logs to carry goods, produce and people. Using a compass, lighthouse, winds and sails man has travelled great seas and mighty oceans to discover for himself land for his progeny to live in. and the thought that follows after the new find is a sense of gratification, " Life is going to be better ahead "- Hope for a better future.

And traffic jams are just one of the features of that future, which is our present. Comfortable and speedy journeys in hours which was not possible or would take days now takes only hours. Only what was for the adventuresome to travel to faraway lands is now possible for anyone who would want to see new places and people. The lands near by the water would have been densely populated if it weren't for the bridges and tunnels that has made it possible for us to stay anywhere and everywhere. So when you are in traffic jam next time, be glad for it, since we can travel, which was once not possible for our forefathers and you are one of those, what do we say, - widely travelled wise women/men.

Image by Jim Frazier

6 comments:

barkfoot said...

I think you need a 'coracle'! Commuting would no longer be a chore, but an adventure....

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh my goodness, traffic makes me feel suicidal. I think the future holds plans of a great deal more telecommuting and shopping online...

vineeta said...

Interesting picture and valid point. Its truly tough to have any kind of perspective when you are stuck in a bad jam. Will try and remember it during the next jam ;)

Anrosh said...

Barkfoot, I learnt a new word 'coracle'.

Maryam, a few luckyones have the luxury of telecommuting.

vineeta, we are again in a jam this weekend for getting on the same bridge only this time it was from the south side - so I wheeled myself out from the nearby exit. henceforward no more verazano bridge, if we can.

Thank You all for stopping by

Nabeel said...

ahh the dang traffic these days. So much time is wasted.

Anrosh said...

nabeel, let me echo with you on this one.

Copyrights Reserved