1. do you Really need that extra trip to the mall ? if you don't then you save gas.
2. if you need that trip to the dry cleaner, have you wondered ever washing the clothes at home in summer and using a cloth line to dry these clothes? if you think your surroundings will look dirty with wet clothes around, imagine what will happen to the earth when petroleum products are used in dry cleaning. if clothes say only 'dry clean' do not buy, it is not worth the price you pay at the cleaners. may be you are rich and can get your dry cleaning down, but down the lane your grandchildren will be breathing more than oxygen. Keep away from the cleaner and you keep away from the petro chemicals that are used for cleaning your clothes. you do all these, you save gas triple fold.
3. convert your lawn into a vegetable patch. kids will not get bored in summer and learn from where vegetables and the birds and the bees really come from. the vegetables grown in sunlight and water and from the earth are tastier. kids who would not want to eat vegetables would at least want to taste it. In fighting the battle to save gas, you won the war ! peace at home.
4. running to the theater in your SUV to catch the next show of spiderman ? have you tried to organize kids for a play put up by themselves. they will learn team spirit and learn to share time and toys and kindle friendships which otherwise wouldn't. You save gas and gain more.
5. are the adults bored out of their wits and going to the priciest restaurant out of town to catch a breath ? is it all about getting dressed up and out of sight of the kids ? call your friends together after dinner and play, sing songs , dance- yes folk (that is why they are called folk , which means common people ). communities that sustained storms, disasters and hurricanes have strong bonding among themselves because they kindled the earth together. since farming is not the main occupation of very many initiate a activity that will bring new meaning into your lives. aren't we all people who want to use our meaningful self, and clamor for attention and recognition ? and who knows you might find out that you are a great alto singer or good at stand up comedy. communities are formed and kept entertained. Listen to music live and dance. did you know the performers always enjoy more than being a passive member of the audience.you save your wallet and you have what you need. isn't that what it is all about? and you save gas
6. Have you checked your attitude meter ? Is it always, me, Me, and My. If you have more that what you have. Reach out. The longer your hand extends the greater is your blessing and joy. sharing brings happiness. nobody died sharing the other donut with a friend. Good for your waist and mind. You don't have to go around to find happiness.You save gas.
7. If in doubt, look within yourself,You do not need all that gas.