02 July 2008

how The broccoli came to be loved.


The first time I encountered this vegetable was on the pages of the sunday section of the Times of India sometime in the late 80's or early 90's ( can't remember exactly) . And saw it for the first time in the Asiatic store in Churchgate.

Having no interest in vegetables then,I was not curious either how it tasted or how was it cooked. On coming to the US I found this in every grocery shop and one day decided to give it a try. I sauted them with salt and a wee bit of turmeric and red pepper flakes, but no - it didn't entice me to eat after the first floret. But my husband (let's call him B) liked it and so we continued to buy them only when he picked it up. B. continued the sauteing process till one day he decided to bake this green unpleasant stuff . But it did not catch my interest. My husband liked it only more, leaving me in a quandary.

One fine day,I decided to steam the vegetable and my opinion completed changed, from disgust to like.
When both of us went for grocery shopping in the earlier days, my husband would pick out the broccoli if I hadn't done it already, which I mostly would never do because the sight of broccoli would make me loose my appetite. On an another occasion when I tossed the steamed darlings in a concoction of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, salt, lemon juice, ground fennel seeds, roasted garlic and a dash of red pepper flakes with thinly sliced red onions the broccoli received an extra touch, more zest and flavor. My taste buds now danced at the touch of the broccoli florets.

I repeated the process again next time and added parmeasan cheese and penne to make it a complete meal. I had now fallen head over heels in love with the olive oil tossed steamed broccoli. I floated, swam and felt gratifed after having a plate full. Ever since, this has been on our menu - the easiest breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack or dinner or for supper. Now the bright broccoli greens entice me when I go to buy produce. They beckon me from afar when we step into the produce section. Next time when you are in my neighborhood, let me know and we can enjoy them together ...

5 comments:

Vinod_Sharma said...

Broccoli is now available almost everywhere in urban India. Like you, others too are beginning to develop a taste for this new entrant in India's vegetable markets.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

mmm...you are making me so hungry. In Morocco, broccoli is a special treat!

Ketan said...

Yummmmm...
I too, have recently taken a fancy to Brocolli....

I wish i had listened to my mom long back!!

Marsha said...

I too am a broccoli lover. If you happen to visit New York, check out this restaurant in called Top Broccoli Restaurant.

Anrosh said...

vinod, we like it. do you ?

hello maryam, regional foods are the best.

hello ketan, i am glad you find your way here. enjoy the broccoli - it is good for health.

- didn't know about the restaurant. now i know. Thanks marsha.

Copyrights Reserved