18 September 2008

Myself

12 years ago I went to school to hone my skills
I wrote an exam to get in
Took more exams to get out.

Companies stood in line
They courted me, wooed me and hired me.
They re-trained me at the bank.
A work day would sometimes turn into work night
I enjoyed what I did.
Analyzed, Modeled and Programmed .
Series 7 and then Series 63.

Most often the problem had to be solved..NOW
They called me after midnight
I logged in, opened the windows and went to work. I made calls.
I solved one more problem in the wee hours of the morning
Millions of dollars were earned and another million saved.
I worked Sundays and weekdays more than 10 hours a day

One day the boss called me to his office
He asked me to leave work..Right NOW
a hurried thank You.
I came back to my desk to take a print out of my address book
The computer locked me out.
They couriered my belongings, some paper and the shoes that I left behind.
That was the last day at the bank.
7 years and 4 months had passed by.

- From the notes of an analyst at a bank. He still continues to work in another bank !

5 comments:

Vinod_Sharma said...

Sadly, that must have happened to a lot of guys in the last few days with Lehman Bros going under, Merrill Lynch bought by BOA and AIG too sinking... Could there have been a bigger burst?

As to the poem, I liked the line 'I wrote an exam to get in; took more exams to get out'.

pink dogwood said...

This reminds me of a day not too long ago, I was working on a NASA contract, funds ran dry and I was let go. Found a better job soon after, but still that felt horrible. Great but sad poem.

Anrosh said...

vinod, they say it is as bad as the depression of 1929.

Anrosh said...

Hello pink dogwood, it is always with a shudder that one recalls such moment -

Mavin said...

Turbulence can hit any one at any point in life. Guess how these people cope up with the sudden vacuum created in their life.

The current situation being such, getting new jobs would be very difficult.

Copyrights Reserved