20 August 2009

Mullings and More

The weather is humid. It has been like this for days. At night if it rains it is a blessing. But the next morning the sun is blazing in all its glory. I have a ceiling fan at home and I enjoy the breeze. My friends are shocked when I say I do not use air conditioning and the windows are open at night. Friends say I am cheapskate, but I am just economical - quality over quantity.Reduce, Recycle, Reuse. This is a lesson I learnt from my father who grew vegetables, fed the cows, made sure the hens were back in its cage ( for lack of a better word) when the sun set and learnt his school lessons under a kersone lamp, because there was no electricity in his village. Today He told me what he tells me everytime I talk to him over the phone - "to believe in myself".

I said it was easy for him to say that because he did well for someone who did not know the language when he came to Bombay. He even risked letting go a cushy job at the Bombay Muncipal corporation where he started as a junior engineer. When the
Shiv sena's accused him of employing Laborers from Tamil Nadu he was relentless of not letting go his employees only because they were not localites. Many of his colleagues and some good friends at work were the Maharastrian marathi manoos itself. My mother voted for the shiv sena . I never understood all those political dynamics growing up. They emerged victorious for having a small business in a land where their ancestors did not live. And this was the 70's.

In many ways my father's and my life are similar. He migrated, I immigrated. But I had many leverages which he did not have, but he made sure that I did. Better schools, More resources, but I know for sure something is lacking in me. When I sit back and evaluate myself today I realise that I am underachieved than what my father was. I told him this in unexplicable terms . In his reply there were only 3 words. "Believe in Yourself". May be I need to push the envelope, get out of my comfort zone, take risks..Is that what he meant ?

13 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I like the simplicity and honesty of this post.

I am watching WALL-E with my kids right now and reduce-recycle-reuse is the only thing that will save us from the fate shown in the movie.

"Believe in yourself" :)

Vinod_Sharma said...

When your father says "believe in yourself", I think he also wants you to change the manner in which you evaluate yourself. Telling yourself that you are an underachiever along a dimension that you can relate to and lack, shows that your belief in yourself is shaky.

Believe in yourself. Live your life as it presents itself to you. Don't keep looking over the shoulder at the life of your father or anyone else. You are unique and have to plow your own unique path.

BK Chowla said...

Believe in yourself.
That is the essence of life.Your father must be a great thinker.

hitch writer said...

Believe in Yourself...

sounds very simple...

but very difficult...

i need to ingrain that..

manju said...

I know you only through this blog and your comments on other blogs, Anrosh. But you come across as someone with great inner strength.

Believing in yourself would probably mean doing what you believe you should do- not what others think you should do.

What you believe to be the right course of action probably is the right course of action for you.

Bix said...

If your father, who has known you all your life, thinks you are believable, you must be believable.

Anrosh said...

..Thank You each and everyone.

rocksea said...

:)
i guess what your father told to you, is an inspiration to the rest of us too!

indianhomemaker said...

Loved this post ... your dad showed courage, and succeeded. I also believe in believing oneself...

I can't say what I wish to better than Mr Sharma above, Believe in yourself. Live your life as it presents itself to you. Don't keep looking over the shoulder at the life of your father or anyone else. You are unique and have to plow your own unique path.

Kislay said...

Inspiring . What your father said , and what Mr. Sharma said . Specially for me , at my age , trying to learn the tricks of Life .

Nona said...

When compared against parents (on any scale), we never match up! This happens to me too!

Anrosh said...

Thank You again for your words -- i have to figure it out

Perovskia said...

"Believe in yourself"

... Be comfortable with *who* you are. Know that you're fabulous. Know that you have individual character traits that set you apart from everyone around you that make you special. Realize your successes and that you can further succeed in anything in the future.

Why? Because you're all of these :)

Copyrights Reserved